The Maintenance Worker / Equipment Operator reports to the Maintenance Lead and provides general residential maintenance support. The Maintenance Worker has effective communication, time management, mechanical and organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and in teams. The Maintenance Worker / Equipment Operator is responsible for maintaining multi-resident buildings, facilities, and grounds. This role will operate and maintain grounds maintenance equipment.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Maintenance of Facilities:
- Performs general maintenance for all facilities and housing units.
- Replace bulbs and ballasts in light fixtures, repair leaking sinks, and toilets, and open clogged drains.
- Ability to complete minor repairs on various equipment and for facilities to ensure effective facility operations.
- Preventive maintenance inspections of equipment and systems.
- Tests smoke and carbon monoxide detectors according to manufacturers. recommendations.
- Replaces batteries and maintains service logs of tests and repairs.
- Maintains tools and equipment and keeps supplies and parts in order. Cleans work area, tools, machines, and equipment.
- Installs weather stripping, interior and exterior trim, and finish hardware. Install items such as window shades, Venetian blinds, and curtain rods.
- Perform security rounds of buildings, as assigned
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assists with Janitorial duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
Grounds Maintenance and Operating Equipment:
- Operate equipment to perform regular maintenance and repairs of equipment.
- Ensure all snow and ice are removed from roads and sidewalks using a tractor, shovel, and snow blower; perform maintenance and repair on snow and ice removal equipment.
- Conduct precheck of equipment, and report any damage or repairs required.
- Ensure ground maintenance is completed and debris is removed.
- Removal of snow around facilities and sand roads, as required.
- Shoveling snow, as required.
- Operate and maintain the snowblower and lawnmowers.
- Maintain the parking lots and walkways of all facilities and grounds.
- Operate equipment safely and efficiently.
- Perform inspections of equipment.
- Remain alert while driving and maintain the appropriate speed limit at all times.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Candidate must have a high school diploma or GED.
- A minimum of 3 years of maintenance experience including carpentry, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience operating equipment.
- A combination of education and training will be considered.
- Basic knowledge in areas of electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and carpentry
- Physically fit and capable of lifting and moving objects up to 24kg, as necessary
- Successfully complete and maintain Criminal Record Clearances.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license (Class 3) and provide a driver’s abstract annually.
- Must have a personal vehicle for work use.
- Be willing to work flexible hours including on-call, evenings & weekends.
- Follows all safety rules and regulations to minimize risk and enhance the safety of employees and visitors; checks property and grounds for unsafe conditions, and clears hazards; reports safety conditions, and security issues.
- Understanding safety procedures and practices – adhering to safety practices when cleaning and moving equipment is important to avoid injury or workplace accidents for employees, tenants, and the public.
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance trades along with municipal codes.
- Demonstrated teamwork and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of all aspects of Safety and Health regulations.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills together with proven experience in resolving conflict.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Team-orientated and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.
- Skilled in the use of hand and power tools.
- Proficient in computer applications related to the position.
- Ability to work well under minimal supervision.
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent work habits including punctuality, efficient use of time, and prioritizing tasks.
- Working independently to maintain facilities according to standards.
- Ability safely use tools and equipment.
- A thorough appreciation, awareness, working experience, and sensitivity of Indigenous history and culture, as well as a thorough understanding of the complexities of working with diverse populations.
- May encounter verbally abusive, aggressive and/or agitated individuals, both in person and on the telephone, therefore the ability to deal courteously, firmly, tactfully, and diplomatically with the tenants and public is a must.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter before, May 24, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com